Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet 08 Grand Cru

I was really excited when I heard that Bourjois were launching their version of matte lip creams. I'm a huge fan of a matte finish and I own a few different versions of such lip creams with Essence ones (old formula) being my favourite. Rouge Edition lipsticks are my favourite formula in the drugstore range, so naturally I had high hopes for these. There are 8 colours available, you can see them swatched in this video from Le Simone Blog.

Texture: It's bit different from other matte liquid lipsticks I've tried. While others were light creams, this feels more like a mousse/cream hybrid. Application feels so soft, like the applicator is a fluffy cushion. 

Pigmentation: The pigmentation is where this product disappointed me a bit. I'm used to super pigmented formulas of these lip cream products, however, this swatches much sheerer and on the lips at least two coats are needed for full opacity. I swatched all the shades in the shop and though, the pigmentation of some shades was better, they are still not as pigmented as Essences (at least that's how it looked to me under the artificial lighting, but they all left a strong stain when rubbed off. Here you can find Essence's if you want to compare). This means that the first coat may look uneven and rubbing the lips together to evenly distribute the colour only makes it worse because of the mousse-like texture. It's best if you wait for one layer to set and then apply another over it. The lack of pigmentation also means that it's harder to create a nice, even edge around the lips, unlike with for example the Essence ones. If you apply too much, it does stay a bit sticky throughout the day and the product can start to clump together making it look uneven, however, if you apply the right amount, you can't even feel it on the lips at all. So this is not the easiest product to work with, but the final result can look fabulous.

Colour: This is the most perfect burgundy shade ever. No purple or brown undertones, just a proper deep red that is verging on vampy and exactly what I was looking for a long time. 

Finish: Like most matte lip creams this has a cream finish before it sets. Aside from pigmentation, another thing that does bother me is that it needs a long time to set to a matte finish, at least 15 minutes when two coats are applied, but what a gorgeous finish it is then. This has the most perfect, velvety matte finish out of all lip creams I've tried. It looks so glamorous to me. But such a matte finish has it's price. For one it feels a bit drier on the lips than other lip creams. Also the lips must be perfect before applying it, so no flaky bits or dryness. I exfoliate them before with some lip balm and a cotton bud, otherwise the product sticks to drier parts and those are then darker, therefore more obvious.

Staying power: Once it sets this doesn't budge. It survives eating, drinking and doesn't transfer except if you rub it. It's one of the most long-lasting products I own. I know this close-up after 10 hours looks a bit brutal (which close-up doesn't really and I took a picture under a less forgiving artificial light), but from a "normal-people-looking-distance" it looked fine. At least you can see how much colour survives the day. I didn't touch it up nor use a lip balm over it during the day.

Scent: A strange chemical one, but only noticeable during application.

Packaging: A square tube with a doe foot applicator that is exactly the same size as the Rouge Edition lipsticks.
Price and availability: I got mine in Müller (Zagreb) for 89.90 kn (11.75 €), but I hear they are already available in some Slovene DMs. They will be available in UK next month, while they are already sold in France and Belgium (and I presume some other European countries).

I adore the velvety mat finish of this and the gorgeous shade, but these don't knock my favourite matte lip creams, Essences Stay Matte (old formula), off it's throne. The pigmentation and therefore application leaves much to be desired. If you get them, be prepared to put a bit more effort into application. However, I still think I'll get that 02 Frambourjoise shade that I liked in the shop. They may be pricey for a drugstore product, but the finish is amazing which makes it all worth it for me.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment